At the State Bank of Alcester, not only do we care about our customers, we care about our community. State Bank of Alcester’s dedication to the community it serves is demonstrated by the wide array of activities and organizations it supports both financially and by involvement. We are committed to making the Alcester community better by
- Teaching the children. As part of their commitment to the community’s children, employees of the State Bank of Alcester have given seminars to both elementary and high school students on topics including “Teach a Child to Save”, applying for loans, credit ratings and more. We believe that by working together we can help our community’s children become successful adults.
- Hiring summer interns. Students have the opportunity to apply for summer jobs with the State Bank of Alcester. These jobs provide the hands-on experience future employers look for and develop the students’ skills.
- Providing job-shadowing programs. Students spend the morning at the bank to learn more about financial institutions and working at the State Bank of Alcester. The students spend time with each department to learn about that department’s responsibilities within the bank.
- Donating equipment, supplies and money. Each year the bank contributes more than $10,000 to non-profit organizations, locally and worldwide.
- Giving scholarships. Each year, the State Bank of Alcester gives away at least one $500 scholarship to a local senior to use at the college of his or her choice. The South Dakota Community Bankers Association will match this amount for any student recipient attending a South Dakota school. Check with your school counselor for more information or stop by the bank to pick up an application.
- Providing educational opportunities The State Bank of Alcester has held a number of educational seminars for all ages throughout the years on banking products and other ag-related issues, including a retirement planning seminar, Health Savings Account seminars, Internet Banking seminars, first-time homebuying seminars, remodeling seminars and much more.
- Participating in and promoting community events. Being involved in community events is an important part of being a community bank. The State Bank of Alcester has participated in many community events throughout the years. Each year, we have a homecoming float. The State Bank of Alcester has also partnered with KK93 (93.1 FM) out of Yankton to publicize local events on the radio. As a service to the community, bank employees announce the Alcester Hometown Happenings each Wednesday at 2 p.m. Community members and local organizations can get their own events broadcasted by bringing their information to the front desk at the State Bank of Alcester. The bank will put it on the bulletin board in the bank and announce it during Alcester Hometown Happenings.The State Bank of Alcester also works with the 4-H groups by providing loans for projects, participating in the premium sale and having a booth at the Union County Fair.