Everyday Teachable Moments
In many families money is a taboo topic. But you can help your children and grandchildren learn financial lessons that will last a lifetime by looking for teachable moments in your daily life that naturally bring up the topic of money. Here are some examples of teachable moments to help you get started
When depositing your paycheck, talk to your kids about
- Budgeting some of your paycheck to pay for things like rent, food and clothing.
- Saving a portion of your paycheck to build a nest egg for future expenses like college tuition and retirement.
When grocery shopping, talk to your kids about
- The difference between a need and a want – milk is a need, candy is a want.
- Using coupons, buying in bulk and other ways that you save money on groceries
When using your credit card, talk to your kids about
- Paying for these purchases each month when the credit card statement comes in the mail.
- How using a credit card is like taking out a small loan for each purchase.
When giving children an allowance, talk to your kids about
- Setting up a budget. For example, decide how much to save, spend or share with others in need.
- Setting a financial goal, such as buying a new bike, and figuring out how to achieve it.
When you pay bills each month, talk to your kids about
- How a check takes money out of your account at the bank to pay the bill.
- Keeping track of the checks you’ve written in the check register so that you don’t spend more than you have in your account.
When using an ATM machine, talk to your kids about
- How the money is coming from your account at the bank.
- Recording withdrawals in your check register so that you don’t overdraw your account.
© Copyright 2006 American Bankers Association, 1120 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036. All rights reserved.
Fees may reduce earnings on checking and savings accounts. Credit cards are subject to credit approval and fees and limits may apply. Fees and limits may apply to ATM transactions.
Product descriptions herein do not take the place of required disclosures under federal and state regulations. Please contact us for disclosures appropriate to these accounts.